Sunday 28 March 2010

1.3 iRant: Pork seems to be in everything

What led to this point...




Ok...so I don't eat pork (I'm steadily noticing every single post is starting with "Ok...so"...i'm just sayin') if people want to 'dine on the swine' I have not one issue with it...really I don't. Dine to your delight, fill your chuffers with the split huffed meat, it bothers me none, thats your choice.

Therein lies the bloody problem though, pork as an ingredient is becoming less and less of a choice and more and more of a default option. "Pork with your cream crackers sir".

Gone are the days when you actually have to specifically ask for pork, now you get it in sweets, other meats, in preservatives...in dam near everything.

I once ordered a Tuna steak, the description on the menu tantilised my palette and opened up my appetite almost immediately. It came, looking absolutely scrumptious...upon closer inspection, the Tuna steak was garnished with some diced cubes lightly fried and very pink! No surprises then that I didn't eat it, but I did naively question the waitress

Me: "Erm excuse me, what are these pink cubes so liberally scattered all over this plate?"


Waitress: "That is the 'Chorizo' sir"

Me: "I'm sorry what is Chorizo by its nature I'm not familiar with it, is it a herb or a meat"

Waitress: "Its Pork sir"

Now initially I wanted to flip out and ask the most sensible question (to me) which was 'Why the hell would you garnish a Tuna steak with PORK!', but then some very quick mental arithmetic saw me admit to myself that not knowing what 'Chorizo' was, could be construed as naive. Equally however, if you don't eat something why would you know what it is...opposite to that, if you don't eat something then maybe you should know all possible combinations of that thing so as to actively avoid it...shit I'm on a winning losing streak with this one.

Anyway, whilst this mental tennis was talking place, the waitress tentatively waited for what I would say next. I simply asked her to take it back as I didn't want it, she did the usual "Whats wrong with it sir, can I get you something different?" but by this time my desire to eat had wained so badly that even the thought of chewing upset me. I simply watched my dining partner chomp away and waited to order a dessert (apple crumble with Ice Cream NOT Custard).

The scary thing is this 'Pork pollution' has also breached religions lines. There was a report in the UK about major suppliers of Halal chicken, who were inadvertently selling chicken meat that contained a protein supplement that also contained both pork and beef DNA! You may ask "why would you need a protein supplement for chicken meat?" I know I did and the answer left me a little disheartened.

The outfit that supply the chicken meat to the suppliers who then supply the restaurants, pump the chicken with water to increase its weight and thus profit. The best way to have the chicken retain this water is to also pump it full of protein, the proteins come in a number of chemical compounds some of which are vegetable based. However pork and beef based compounds are the cheapest... so no more guessing why they do it...?

This just leaves me asking "Why?"

Watch this and make your own mind up:




I think its worth a rant...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love the way you write. Had me scratiching my head with all the facts illustrated in such a clever manner. Easy to read and full of knowledge left me wanting more. It makes you think 'if this can be done to meat, what the hell are they doing to fish'...........
I think the lid has just been lifted
This is something that has forever bugged me, check out the food programmes all adding PORK to eve the simply salad. IRANTIMOAN Rocks

Wonderful said...

Here here!!