Wednesday 6 May 2015

iRant: Sayings that I hate with a passion - Vol1


I know it has been a considerable amount of time since I last ranted or moaned, or in fact touched this page in any fashion.

In fact its been so long, that I actually forgot the password for the account I use for this, if you saw the way I was frantically trying to interrogate my ageing brain, it was quite dramatic. Suffice to say that if I had indeed lost the sign in details, I would have cried!!!!!

Any hoot, let me not get carried away with my re-acquaintance!!
I won't make a load of written verbal commitments about how I'm going to treat this blog going forward and how I'm going to promise to update it often and etc and etc, truth is, I can't realistically commit in practice to what can so easily be said in words... so please just work with me here???

Right, now that I've got the intro stuff out the way, let me bring you in the fray about this here post.
It has come to my attention over the last 20+ years that most human beings are figuratively full of shite. I appreciate that was an expletive I let go of so easily there, but, believe me, I actually couldn't describe them any other way.

Don't get me wrong, I've been fortunate enough to have met a few wise individuals in my time, but in reality the majority are full of shite (<--- ooops there I go again)

There are a number of ways we can confirm this theory, but I'm not sure I actually need to go into that. So what does people being full of shit (figuratively speaking) have to do with this post?

Well you see, its peoples idea of 'innovations' that brings me to worry. Our obsession with 'new' in western society is shocking. So much so its made us all a little more shallow. This materialistic consumer based existence has both a pungent odor and a sinful after taste.

The thing is, because EVERYBODY wants to be seen as an innovator or the catalyst for something 'new', people are literally doing all manner of foolishness to establish a '1st' at something. This shallow culture has extended into the realm of parables and age old axioms. Stop frowning, I'll explain.

Throughout history there have been a set of 'sayings' that have past from generation to generation simply because the premise of the sayings, have been a combination of:

1. Identifiably true
2. Timeless and thus applicable throughout the ages

If you are a little confused think 'Children having children', 'Famine', 'You don't know what you've got till its gone' etc etc. You know that timeless cyclic stuff that generally occurred before we appreciated it and probably will long long after we are gone.

Yeah well, 'people' have decided to infiltrate this area of wisdom in attempts to be considered 'quotable'.

It is very sad and very annoying. The latest entry into this vernacular of bullshit is:
"It is, what it is"

Who the hell comes up with this bullshit? It is actual shit from a bull.

The thing is, people have the audacity to look smug when they say this codswallop. As if they've blessed you with this most profound of statements at the most apt time.

In reality, all they have done is state the f'ing obvious and are looking for social points. No Einstein, you've just successfully stated the obvious. Of course it is what it is, otherwise it would be something else.

No comments: